Do you sometimes have trouble getting a good night’s sleep? You’re not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 70 million Americans suffer from chronic sleep issues like insomnia and apnea. The lack of quality sleep can contribute to various health issues, including injuries caused by a lack of alertness or concentration, chronic disease and mental illness.
IV therapy — an intravenous method for delivering fluids containing medications, vitamins or minerals — is becoming an increasingly popular option for providing relief to sleep-deprived patients.
How Can IV Therapy Improve Your Quality of Sleep?
Why are so many turning to IV therapy to improve sleep? The process serves as an effective delivery system for various sleep-facilitating ingredients at a nearly 100% absorption rate. Consequently, users can derive numerous benefits from the treatment.
- Better circadian rhythm regulation: Circadian rhythm controls the 24-hour sleep-wake cycle in humans. IV therapy can promote the more efficient function of this essential process.
- Improved REM sleep: Rapid eye movement is the portion of the sleep cycle that occurs approximately 90 minutes after falling asleep and occurs in stages lasting up to an hour. REM sleep is crucial because it stimulates areas of the brain associated with learning and protein production. IV therapy can help you maximize REM sleep.
- Reduced stress: It’s challenging to fall asleep if you’re feeling stressed or anxious. You’ll also toss and turn and wake up frequently throughout the night. An IV therapy can deliver ingredients that promote calmness and relaxation.
- Increased duration: Do you often wake up long before it’s time to start your day? An IV therapy can help you sleep longer and feel more refreshed when you arise.
Will IV Therapy Help Ease Insomnia?
Insomnia, a condition where people have trouble falling or staying asleep, affects 10 to 60% of the global population. People may suffer from insomnia for many years, significantly impacting their quality of life. Many sleep-deprived people resort to over-the-counter medications, meditation, hypnosis, counting sheep and a host of other measures without achieving sustained success.
You may not realize that dehydration and nutrient deficiencies are often contributing factors to inadequate sleep. A targeted IV therapy for insomnia can supply these missing ingredients to your body — something most other remedies can’t provide. These therapies can gradually alleviate chronic insomnia by slowing racing thoughts, calming your body and lowering your resting heart rate.
Can IV Therapy Help Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a medical disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts while sleeping. Symptoms include loud snoring, gasping for air, morning headaches and awakening with a dry mouth.
The three types of sleep apnea are as follows.
- Obstructive: This form of apnea occurs when the muscles in the back of the throat that support the soft palate involuntarily relax. This process causes the airway to narrow, resulting in snorting, gasping or choking. Obese people are more likely to develop obstructive apnea when fat deposits accumulate around the upper airway and restrict breathing.
- Central: This less common sleep apnea version occurs when the brain fails to signal the muscles that control breathing. Afflicted people may have trouble falling or asleep or awaken with shortness of breath. Central sleep apnea risk factors include being male, middle-aged or older, having a heart disorder or a previous stroke.
- Complex: This condition is a combination of obstructive and central sleep apnea. You may experience multiple rousing events during the night, typically during the REM stage. The result is fragmented, poor-quality sleep.
IV therapy for sleep apnea can help many of the 22 million Americans who suffer from this potentially severe medical condition by providing medications that promote breathing and prevent various sleep-disrupting issues.
What Is in a Drip IV That Can Improve My Quality of Sleep?
Depending on which issue you’re experiencing, an IV drip for improving sleep may include a combination of the following vitamins, minerals or medications.
- Magnesium: This mineral is essential to the human body’s function. Because many people don’t get enough magnesium from their diet, taking it as a supplement is often necessary. When included in an IV drip for improving sleep, it can help regulate the body’s stress response system. The therapy can promote relaxation in people who suffer from anxiety, letting them fall asleep more quickly and stop waking up as often during the night.
- Selenium: This trace mineral offers numerous health benefits, including reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, cognitive decline, some forms of cancer and thyroid issues. Some research also indicates that selenium lowers the likelihood of having difficulty falling asleep by 20% and staying asleep by 33%.
- Taurine: While this nutrient is a common ingredient in sports and energy drinks because of its ability to stimulate the muscles, it also has sleep benefits. Taking taurine before bedtime can help you relax and fall asleep more easily. It also assists in producing melatonin, a hormone that controls the body’s sleep-wake function.
- Zinc: Besides helping you metabolize melatonin, this essential mineral has a sedating effect on the nervous system, enabling you to fall asleep more easily. Zinc also assists the body in achieving REM sleep.
- Glycine: This amino acid has a calming effect on the brain. Taking 3 grams of glycine at bedtime can help you fall asleep and keep you from waking up during the night.
- Lidocaine: This medication possesses various pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. Physicians typically use this medication as an alternative to opioids during the early postoperative phase for patients who have undergone surgery for obstructive sleep apnea.
- B6 vitamins: Taking B6 can help the body produce melatonin, which enhances sleep regulation. It can also improve sleep quality and duration.
- NAD+: An NAD+ IV package can help relieve fatigue and boost your energy levels by helping to set your body’s circadian rhythm and alleviate stress. NAD+ is a coenzyme that’s critical for regulating cellular functions and supporting your metabolism, which helps set your internal clock so you can sleep through the night.
IV Therapy From Mobile IV Medics Can Improve Your Sleep Quality
Mobile IV Medics can prepare a specially crafted IV drip for insomnia, apnea or other issues. You’ll receive a precise blend of vitamins and nutrients that helps you get a good night’s rest and perform at your best. Specifically, our NAD+ IV package may be able to help you sleep easier.
Our service’s convenient mobile component means we can come to you whenever and wherever you need us. Our rapid response prevents you from wasting valuable time traveling to a sleep clinic or waiting for an appointment with a physician.
Learn more about the benefits of IV therapy for insomnia and other sleep disorders. Contact us to book an appointment today.