When IV drip bars first came on the scene a few years back, few knew what to make of the treatment that was popping up all over celebrity social media accounts. With such raving testimonials and endorsements, the therapy exploded in popularity, and treatment centers took off across the country. But as with any new service boasting a variety of health benefits, many individuals wondered if IV therapy was safe. This article covers how IV therapy works, how safe it is, its benefits and its general price point.
- What Is IV Therapy and How Does It Work?
- Is IV Therapy Safe?
- Why Should I Get IV Therapy?
- Is IV Therapy Expensive?
- Book Your IV Therapy Appointment With Mobile IV Medics
What Is IV Therapy and How Does It Work?
Before we get into the safety of IV therapy, it’s important to understand what IV therapy is and how the procedure works.
Most professionals in the IV therapy field consider Dr. John Myers to be the father of IV vitamin therapy, with his earliest efforts in the field dating back to the 1970s. Myers’ role was so crucial to the development of IV vitamin therapy that one of the earliest and most popular IV infusions, the Myers’ Cocktail, was named in his honor.
The idea behind IV therapy is simple — provide patients with both hydration and essential vitamins and minerals by infusion via IV. The benefit of IV administration of vitamins and minerals in comparison to traditional multivitamins comes down to how the body absorbs these nutrients.
When we consume traditional multivitamins via ingestion, our bodies absorb these nutrients from our stomach and digestive tract which allows for an absorption rate of roughly 50%. IV infusion administers the vitamins and minerals directly into the bloodstream, which allows for a much faster absorption process and a much higher rate of absorption — almost 90%.
Delivering fluids and vital nutrients via IV offers many benefits and can help alleviate symptoms of various conditions, including dehydration, cold and flu symptoms, food poisoning, morning sickness, jet lag and hangovers.
Is IV Therapy Safe?
IV therapy is an overwhelmingly safe procedure. The most common concerns regarding IV therapy safety fall into two categories — IV administration and IV contents.
- IV administration: The most important consideration when choosing an IV therapy provider is ensuring proper staff training and knowledge of IV placement. Always opt for an IV therapy clinic that uses licensed medical professionals such as registered nurses to ensure you receive proper IV administration.
- IV contents: Equally important to proper IV administration is choosing an IV therapy package that clearly lists the ingredients contained. Since the IV fluid will go directly into your bloodstream, you should make sure your IV package only contains saline, vitamins, minerals and any necessary medication for symptom relief. Mobile IV Medics only uses the vitamins and medicines that your body needs and that will provide you with the best outcome – no frills or unnecessary treatment. We put our patients’ well-being and safety above all else!
Why Should I Get IV Therapy?
If you’re curious about pursuing IV therapy, you’ll want to know about the benefits and symptoms IV therapy can help alleviate.
Often, we can’t receive the proper amount of vitamins and minerals our bodies need from food and drink alone, and these deficiencies can affect our overall health. In addition to maintaining adequate nutrient levels, many people struggle to maintain adequate fluid intake and hydration day-to-day. Vitamin deficiencies and dehydration can leave us feeling less than ideal.
IV therapy offers individuals a simple solution to meet their nutrient and hydration needs, especially if these levels become harder to reach due to illness, jet lag or hangovers.
Here are some of the most popular uses for IV therapy:
- Reduce hangover symptoms: One of the most popular uses for IV therapy is providing quick relief after a night out. Consuming alcohol leads to dehydration, and since alcohol is a diuretic, it can cause us to lose many of the nutrients we need to feel our best. IV therapy provides the fluids and nutrients needed to reduce these symptoms, with many options, including anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory components for quick relief.
- Relieve cold and flu symptoms: When you’re fighting the common cold or the flu, your body needs hydration and nutrients to support your immune system. IV therapy provides the necessary hydration and can include crucial nutrients like vitamins C and B12 for improved immune system function, as well as medication for headaches, pain and fever.
- Relieve morning sickness symptoms: Fluid and nutrient intake are vital throughout pregnancy to ensure a healthy child, but morning sickness can often make obtaining both of these necessities a challenge. In addition to the fluids contained in IV therapy, packages specifically for morning sickness can include anti-nausea medications and nutrients crucial to fetal development, such as iron, calcium and folic acid. IV therapy also offers a much higher absorption rate compared to typical multivitamins.
- Reduce jet lag symptoms: Whether you’re flying for business or leisure, jet lag can seriously impact your energy level. Combine crossing time zones with low relative humidity on planes, and you can become dehydrated, amplifying feelings of lethargy. IV therapy provides fluids to ensure hydration, B vitamins to reduce fatigue and brain fog and anti-inflammatory medicine to reduce headaches.
Is IV Therapy Expensive?
Like any health service, the price of IV therapy can vary due to factors such as the specific type of treatment package and the level of care provided.
IV therapy is generally very affordable, with most clinics and providers charging between $100 and $500, depending on the type of treatment you receive. You can also use an HSA to pay for treatment, putting you ahead of the tax curve.
As with all health services, be sure to research your provider and ask questions before booking your treatment to ensure your IV therapy session is a success.
Book Your IV Therapy Appointment With Mobile IV Medics
If you’re looking into IV therapy options, check out Mobile IV Medics’ available IV therapy treatments!
Whether you’re suffering from migraines, nausea, sunburn or other symptoms, you can receive IV therapy from the comfort of your home, office, or wherever you are. At Mobile IV Medics, we administer IV therapy by bringing our services to your location. Our registered nurses come to you with everything they need to provide you the best treatment. All you need to do is sit back, relax and receive the IV drip!
Skip the trips to drip bars when you’re not feeling your best, and book your appointment with Mobile IV Medics online today!