Sometimes after a long and stressful week, you need to take a break from your usual routine to have some fun. You might feel like exploring a new city or hitting the clubs. Where should you start?
While you’re thinking about what to do this weekend, how about a retreat? Keep reading for our suggestions for having a truly relaxing afternoon and other weekend getaway ideas courtesy of Mobile IV Medics.
Plan Your Weekend Getaway
Before you go exploring, it’s important to have at least a loose plan, even if you end up branching out and doing more than expected. Below are some questions to ask yourself:
1. What Time Should I Go?
Need to get caught up on work? Have kids to care for? Although life can get busy sometimes, there’s always time for a weekend staycation. If you would rather travel though, it’s best to plan a date for the occasion. Make arrangements in advance so you have reservations made and know to keep that weekend free of other obligations.
2. What Is My Budget?
Setting a budget is a great way to stay organized even if you are unconcerned about your spending habits. Check the prices for events or shows, and research cover fees if you plan to go out to clubs. If you want to go shopping, hold yourself to a spending limit.
3. What Kind of Trip Would I Enjoy the Most?
Make a list of activities that you would love to participate in. Next, start doing some research on locations nearby where you can do exactly that. Research everything from the best shopping centers, spas, theatres and clubs. You can use our below list to help get ideas.
4. Who Am I Going With?
Some weekend getaways are better with a group of friends or a partner. While you can go solo if it’s your dream, your trip could be even better with company. It’s safer to go to nightclubs when you have a group, for example. You would also be around people who can share the memories with you.
Things to Do on a Fun Weekend Getaway
Maybe you’re planning the ideal staycation retreat that you can invite your friends to? Or would you rather go on a sightseeing tour of a big city ending with a nighttime cruise of local clubs? You can keep your getaway simple and still have fun.
Below is our list of the top ten best activities for a weekend getaway:
1. Try New Foods
If you’re an adventurous eater, let loose this weekend by visiting new restaurants or ordering new items from your favorite menus. Some categories to look for:
- Street foods: The rising popularity of food trucks means there are tons of exotic cuisine options you can find just walking the streets of your favorite city. Look for food trucks that sell something unique and sample traditional foods from other countries.
- Local marketplaces: Head to the farmer’s market or local supermarkets and look for products you wouldn’t normally pick up at your neighborhood stores. You might find some rare fruits or snacks there. The prices could be more affordable or slightly more expensive, and that gamble is part of the fun. While you’re on the road, make sure you pick up some healthy travel snacks like hard-boiled eggs, turkey jerky and nutty protein bars.
- New restaurants: Look for a restaurant or eatery with a comfortable theme and good reviews for the best possible experience. The only way to discover new favorite restaurants is to visit more of them while you have the energy and free time.
2. Go Sightseeing
All you need to get away is a few hours’ drive and a change of scenery. Exploring a nearby city that you usually have little time to visit opens up all kinds of opportunities. Tips for enjoying the sights:
- Buy all tickets online: If you wait to get tickets at the door, you have to fight long lines and stand outside in the elements. Tickets are sometimes less expensive when ordered in advance. Buying your tickets early may also help with budgeting and structuring your schedule.
- Go on a tour: Taking a tour is a good way to get acquainted with an area’s best features, even if you are a local. There are many to choose from, including wine and food tours, cruises and seasonal outings like ghost tours.
- Go to main attractions first: Think about what you’re looking forward to the most, and if possible, go there first. That way, you can save your energy for your favorites. If you go earlier in the day, you may also avoid larger crowds.
3. Hit the Bars and Nightlife
Wait for the sun to fall and spend a night out on the town. Barhopping is fun even without friends or a partner, just make your safety a priority and always plan to have a ride. Tips for enjoying the best of what the nightlife has to offer include:
- Get on a guest list: Rather than relying on general admission, get ahead of the crowd at clubs where you can sign up for the guest list, which is like a promotional membership. Being an official guest could grant you free entry, free drinks or discounts.
- Reserve a table: If you’re going out with friends, making a reservation is the quickest way to get seated.
- Dress for the occasion: Going to a nightclub calls for your nicest clothes. Lay out your wardrobe at least a day in advance, which gives you plenty of time to try things on and consider your options. It’s especially important to wear shoes that are practical for hours of dancing and also go well with your outfit.
4. Go Shopping
Head to a mall or strip center and forget your worries by browsing collections of your favorite products. Below are some tips for traveling to shop:
- Look for variations in the usual: Even major retail stores tend to vary slightly in the products they stock across locations. Try browsing the retail locations in a different city, especially one across state borders, and you could end up finding something amazing.
- Go to antique stores: Some of the best stores to go window-shopping at are small local antique shops that stock quaint curiosities. The range of items you can find there is often a delightful surprise. If you have never been to an antique store, this is a sign to check one out.
- Shop during special events: Head out to a crafts fair, flea market or strip center during a festival or another special event for some of the best shopping adventures. Festivals with a seasonal theme give you something to celebrate while you check out the local arts and crafts. You might find unique home decor, one-of-a-kind gifts and more.
- Shop local: Visit a farmer’s market and sample the fresh produce and local wares. This could also save you a trip to the grocery store later.
5. Go to a Spa or Salon
Getting your hair and nails done is a relaxing experience you might not have time for in a busy week, making it a perfect weekend activity. To get the most out of your experience, book an appointment well in advance so you can avoid a wait and get access to all the treatments you’re interested in. Some treatment ideas you might consider include:
- Massage therapy: Getting a massage may help put both your muscles and mind at ease.
- Lash tinting and curling: Lash curling is a perming procedure that lifts your eyelashes without the use of makeup. This treatment is the perfect way to prepare for a long weekend out at the clubs, and your lashes stay in place for several weeks afterward.
- Hairstyling: Maybe you’re due for a trim anyway? Treat yourself to a cut from high-end hair salon or get your hair styled for a night out.
- Facials: Spas offer many options for facials, from clay masks to chemical peels.
6. Go to the Beach
One of the best places to spend a relaxing weekend is the beach, whether you’re near San Diego or Miami Beach. Here are our best beach trip tips:
- Research your options: Are you looking for the nearest beach or are you willing to take a longer drive to avoid big crowds or find that hidden gem? Select a beach with a reputation for being clean, with active lifeguards if you want to go swimming.
- Make travel plans: Consider going to the beach by airplane if it’s far enough away. Arranging for a two-way flight over a long weekend may save you a lot of time and let you go to a renowned beach.
- Bring all the necessities: Make sure you have sunscreen, sunglasses, a beach blanket, plenty of bottled water and a few beach-friendly snacks. Pack early because it’s easy to forget something you use less frequently.
- Participate in the recreation: If you’ve ever wanted to go surfing, jet skiing or fishing, a weekend getaway is a great time to start. Consider renting a fishing boat or a jet ski, or sign up for a surf lesson. Getting active on the beach quickly takes your mind off of the week.
7. Go on a Nature Walk
Need a moment to yourself? Spend some time in the great outdoors. Below are some tips for staying safe and having a good time:
- Visit a national park: A weekend trip is the perfect occasion to go on a road trip to a national park. No matter where you live, you can find a national park near you.
- Consider bringing a backpack: If you’re going hiking, it’s easier to pack essential travel items when you have a large bag. You can easily fit a first-aid kit, water bottle and bug spray in a backpack.
- Take a legal self-defense item: Out in nature, it can be easy to forget that there are risks despite the peaceful atmosphere. Research local ordinances to see if you can carry bear spray or another self-defense item of your choice.
- Wear the right shoes: Make sure your sneakers or hiking boots are the right size. You want to feel comfortable going on a long walk in them.
8. Stay in a Hotel
Even if you’re a local, staying at a nice hotel over the weekend can be a relaxing way to see other parts of the city. The perks of spending a night in include:
- An on-site bar: You can mingle and drink without having to get a ride. Check the hotel’s website to find a location with positive reviews of the bar. If your room is in walking distance of other bars or clubs, you have it made. When you’re ready to turn in for the night, all you have to do is walk back up to your room, and when security cameras are present, you have additional safety.
- Gym access: Guests often lack time to use a hotel’s gym equipment, so the gym is usually empty or nearly empty. Use this opportunity to get in a good workout right when you wake up or before bed and beat the crowds at your regular gym.
- Entertainment: Some hotels have an arcade, a pool or another fun amenity. They might even have complimentary experiences or discounted tickets to events in the area.
- Restaurants, cafes and buffets: Hotels generally make it easy for guests to get food, whether they provide free breakfast or a full-service restaurant. You free up time on your schedule when you have easy access to at least one meal at a hotel.
9. Organize Your Own Retreat
Want to get your friends involved in your weekend plans with a truly special experience? Rather than throwing a typical house party, how about hosting a weekend retreat? Below are some tips for getting started:
- Decide on a theme: Before you do any more planning, think about what you would like your guests to do on your retreat. If your goal is to pamper your guests, you might host a spa or glamour party. If you would rather organize a movie watch party, you might need to invest in a projector and other equipment or rent out a theater.
- Choose your audience: How many people are you inviting? Make a list so you remember everyone. Ask them to RSVP so you can get a final count.
- Create a schedule of events: Keep your guests informed of all you have planned.
- Rent a space: Depending on the size of your guest list, it might be in your best interest to rent a vacation house for the weekend. This would ideally give everyone plenty of parking space and spend time together.
10. Get IV Therapy With Mobile IV Medics
After a fun-filled weekend getaway, you might feel drained or hungover. Luckily, you can get IV therapy before your return to your usual daily life and start your week off right. Mobile IV Medics offers various therapy options with packages to alleviate symptoms for everything from sunburn to jetlag. And best of all, we’re mobile. The benefits of mobile IV therapy include:
- Our fast service comes to you.
- Our options include IV therapy for a hangover, which includes glutathione for breaking down alcohol byproducts.
- You can get recharged with important vitamins like B12 and B complex.
- You may actually feel better after the weekend ends than before it started.
Instead of going to a drip bar after being out all weekend, we can send a nurse directly to your door. Stay in the comfort of your home while you enjoy a drip session, or hire us to come to your weekend retreat if you’re in any of our service areas. Contact us for more information about our services.